April 2, 2014

Damsel in Distress Review

* I received this book from the author for an honest review *

Damsel in Distress

By,

Lee French

3 Stars!


 Given the burden of safeguarding a precious treasure at a tender age, Sabetia is placed squarely in the middle of a fantastical legend. Swords, demons, magic, a curse: It has everything a great epic should. All she needs to do is face the danger that could threaten the world if left unchecked. If only it were so simple. A hero could solve this problem, but she does not happen to be one. 

A good wife is obedient, patient, obedient, quiet, obedient, doting, and above all, obedient. Sabetia was raised to be a good wife. It makes her perfect prey, a perfect damsel in distress 

-Author's Note-

This novel contains a depiction of domestic abuse. Some readers might be disturbed by it. Although the story is entirely fictional, the abuse is based on real accounts of real women. I've done my best to keep the 'on screen' brutality minimal and not to sensationalize or glorify it. 

I believe that silence is the greatest ally domestic abuse has in the world. It's my hope that stories like this one - of fantasy and adventure and magic - can shed light on the subject for people who otherwise would not think about it very much.

 My Thoughts ...

I do not read fantasy often but I chose to read this one based on the synopsis. This book was pretty interesting. I liked the idea of ​​the story line. Sabetia had to overcome what life threw at her. Not only does she have an abusive mother but she also becomes married to someone even worse. She had to stop being a damsel in distress and become her own hero.

The book jumped around in time a lot. We started out with Sabetia being 7 years old, then we jump to her meeting her husband, then we jump again to her wedding day, and then again two years later. This could have become really confusing. But the author did a good job leaving clues as to where we were in the book.

The actual story was really interesting. The author gave us a whole new world and a new religion to go along with it. The world building was great. I was able to imagine everything in my mind. There wasn't an overabundance of detail. The amount French gave was perfect. I liked the lore and different religion in the book. It was all very interesting.

Sabetia had to overcome so much in the book. She did it so well. Lee French was very tactful in the way she wrote about the abuse Sabetia suffered. She did not glorify it. She Gave us the details that we needed and nothing more. I thought towards the end Sabetia really came into her own. She grew into a strong person. She became her own hero and I like that in a book.

I read this was a stand alone novel. I am kind of confused on that part.The ending felt kind of rushed to me. I also felt that there was so much that was not said. I understand leaving the reader thinking that the protagonist does need a man to make her strong and happy. That she can be all the hero she needs. I was expecting some romance from the synopsis. Or from what I read on her website. I can't remember, because I do not count her husband as a romance. Bastard


Other than that the book was interesting and well written. I was just expecting more from the story line. If there is another book I will definitely read it.

Links 

No comments :

Post a Comment