June 28, 2014

Changing Forever Review



Changing Forever 

(Rain Book #2)
By,
Lisa De Jong
4 Stars!!!


 photo GR_zps5fe521f1.jpg



I've always let my past dictate my future, letting it paint a picture of exactly what I don't want to be. Where I don't want to end up.

Drake Chambers is as arrogant as I am stubborn. A college quarterback, a national star. I thought he was just another one of those guys … the type every girl should stay away from, but he's carrying more than the weight of the football team on his shoulders.

He unravels the feelings and beliefs I've held onto for so long.

I thought we had it all figured out. Two people who'd finally found their happily ever after, but the past always has a way of sneaking into the present.

With one decision, everything changes … forever.


 

My Thoughts….

 

"He kisses me like this might be the last time. Like it's the first. Like it's the sum of every kiss we've ever shared."

 

This is the first book I have ever read from Lisa De Jong and I was not disappointed. This is the second book in the Rain series but it didn't feel like one. Even though I have not read the first one it didn't matter the first one was a stand-alone and so is this one. But if you have read the first one you get to see a little bit into Kate and Beau after their book has ended. The best thing is that you don't even get a hint about what they go through in this book so even though I read this one first I still don't have any idea what happened in the first book. This book was also a dual POV for Drake and Emery. Which if you have read my reviews before you know I love and I love both of these characters.

 



Both characters have a past that as of right now they are just trying to live with. They haven't forgotten or moved on. They are just trying to live with the pain and guilt that both Emery and Drake live with every day. Drake and Emery each of their own struggles that they have to go through throughout this book but they also go through many of those as a couple. The dynamic between the two was really interesting. They didn't even like each other in the beginning. The more time they spent together the more they liked each other and they became friends. Now the trouble started with moving out of the friend zone. It needed to happen but Drake had his own demons that were keeping them from doing just that. And just when they found their grove fate steps in and Drake goes back to pushing Emery away and this time it might be for good.

 

I really liked Emery's character. She knew how she wanted to be treated when she finally let someone through her walls and she didn't let Drake get away with treating her any different. She took him back so many times but love is irrational and I can understand why she did it. And to be honest Drake didn't really do anything that couldn't be forgiven. He definitely couldn't be trusted for a while there but he could be forgiven. Emery was great through this book. She was forgiving and she worked hard. She also grew a lot as a person. She learned to let a few people in and tell them about their past. She saw her childhood through different eyes and she was able to let go of the pain of her mom.

 



Now Drake is a different story. He struggle and growth took a lot longer to happen. To me it felt like he didn't want to let it go so it got a little old there at some points. I wanted more of Him and Emery happy and a couple. This book was more about each of their struggles than anything else. Even though he doesn't like to admit it he can be sweet through this book even when he doesn't try. Drake, to me, has a little bit of a savior complex with his family. His mom is clearly getting better but he still doesn't let the pressure he feels go to help them out and go through with football. But he is also amazing when it comes to caring about them so much.

 

The story was written really well. The writing flowed and kept me interested through the book. There wasn't a part where I was bored or wanted to skip ahead. One of the two twists I saw coming. And that's fine some books are predictable but still good and this was one of. I would definitely read more from this author and I am definitely going to buy the first book with Kate and Beau!

"It's these moments of truth and honesty that attract me to her. It's in these moments that I want to be with her. I want her to be the girl I kiss after each win. I want her to be the one who takes care of me when I'm injured. I want her to be the one who I tell everything.
                God knows I need someone."

 photo 077b8f97-b6d8-4ea3-995c-e224f76746e8_zpsa41e023d.png

No comments :

Post a Comment