July 13, 2014

The Heart's Game Review

The Heart’s Game

(The Kelly Brothers Book #4)
By,
Crista McHugh
3.5 Stars!!


 photo GR_zps5fe521f1.jpg


What happens at Comic-Con, stays at Comic-Con…

Robotics engineer Jenny Nguyen has given up on finding Mr. Right. So when her brother and his husband approach her to act as surrogate for their child, she sees it as her only chance to have a child and accepts. One week after she initiates the process, however, she meets a man who gets her heart pumping for all the right reasons and gives into the temptation. When the test turns positive, she’s believes she can’t handle both the pregnancy and dating, but she underestimates how persistent a Daniel Kelly can be.

When surgeon and gamer-geek Dan meets a pretty woman dressed as a Sailor Scout at Comic-Con, a roll of his lucky 20-sided die tells him he should take a gamble on her. One night of passion leaves him longing for more, but Jenny’s refusal to return his calls afterward leaves him wondering if the attraction was one-sided. An accidental discovery of her pregnancy has him convinced the baby is his, and he’ll stop at nothing to win her heart.

My Thoughts…

This is the first Kelly Brothers series book that I have read from this author. The Heart’s Game was pretty interesting. I am sure there are books that have the main character be a surrogate but I have not read any like that. So this was new a refreshing for me. I mean can you imagine agreeing to be a surrogate and then finding your freaking perfect match. I mean in every way these characters were made for each other. I wouldn’t even know how to begin to explain this to him especially with the family that Jenny has. If I had the experiences she has telling people I would be reluctant to say something more than she did too. I mean I would have tried more than she did but I can understand her hesitation.

This book was a quick and fun read. The writing flowed really well. The writer was able to really bring you into Jenny’s world. It was actually pretty comical with all of the “geeky” things she brought into the book. Some authors try and write people like this but you can tell they don’t really know anyone like this or they themselves are not like this. They just don’t seem to get it. So we don’t get the full experience. Crista McHugh was able to capture that world. I happen to be somewhat of a geek and my husband is a major one and from my experience writing Jenny as shy and quite until she got into character was pretty accurate. I really appreciated how right she got that world.

The character were written very well too. Every character that you met in the book jump out at you. I could really sympathies with Jenny and when she felt, almost but not quite, used for her uterus. I mean, I have never been through a surrogate or anything like it but the way the author wrote this book you could almost imagine what it would be like.  Dan was a very understanding and compassionate person. He was able to get past being lied to and was able to help Jenny through the whole situation. I am not sure how I felt about her brother and his husband. I feel like they stopped looking at Jenny as a person and only looked at her as the body housing their baby. It frustrated me at times. But at times they were perfect. Supporting, caring, and loving, whenever Jenny needed them.

All in all this was a good book. If you like the family style series books this is a good one to read!

 photo 077b8f97-b6d8-4ea3-995c-e224f76746e8_zpsa41e023d.png

No comments :

Post a Comment