August 26, 2014

Sugar on the Edge Review











Sugar on the Edge
(Last Call Book #3)
By,
Sawyer Bennett
4 Stars!!


 photo GR_zps5fe521f1.jpg


He’s utterly alone…

Tortured and existing in a dark spiral of despair, bestselling British author, Gavin Cooke, has come to the Outer Banks of North Carolina to escape the seedy lifestyle he had been living in London and in a desperate attempt to regain his writing focus. He’s twisted, bitter and angry at the world. He’s a loner… needing not a single thing other than his Scotch and a laptop upon which he can bang out his next erotic, dark thriller.

She’s running in place and getting nowhere…

Savannah Shepherd’s life is falling apart. Her dream of being a wildlife photographer seems a distant memory and she’s barely able to make ends meet. Driving herself forward with no clear goals apparent, she’s about ready to pack up her bags and head home with her tail between her legs.

Two unlikely lovers…

He’s raw, forceful and a dirty talker. She’s a flowers and romance type of girl. Yet within each other, they find a mutual craving that can only be satisfied by giving in to their desires for one another.
Lust turns into something more… something they were not looking for but tentatively accept. Will it be enough to push them past the obstacles of Gavin’s bitter past?

*SUGAR ON THE EDGE can be read as a stand-alone*




“There’s nothing formal about love, Savannah. It’s hot, messy, and totally disjointed.”

This is the third book in the Last Call series. I have read the previous two and Brody is definitely my favorite. Gavin’s story is a close second but Brody definitely wins out. I love Sawyer Bennett’s books. These are not the only books that I have picked up that she has written. I have loved everyone I have picked up and this one is no different! This book is really a Beauty and the Beast story. The Anti-heroine and the anti-hero. Gavin dark and brooding and Savannah shy and sweet.

“Her smile calms, her soft touch unmans. Her laugh fortifies, and her brazen look overwhelms me.”

What I liked:

The writing- The writing and the flow was fast paced. There was always something going on. You didn’t get bored for one second. Sawyer Bennett was always coming at you with something. But she did it in a way that it wasn’t overwhelming either. I loved how we got to see the other two couples in this book too. She wrote in updates that were so good.

The steamy scenes- There was plenty of them and very hot. Gavin was dark and tortured so the steamy scene tended to be on the more intense side then the other two books in this series. I thought that it all worked. The romance was great. The two of the had some amazing chemistry

Savannah- She was shy and timid but she grew that back bone of hers. She had one it was just hidden because she was fighting so hard to just live. She is a hard worker and doesn’t want anything that even remotely looks like a handout.

Gavin- He tortured, dark, and British. He has been through some hard things before he moved to the Outer Banks to write his book. He was an asshole but I liked his chapters anyway. He was really blunt and rough but Savannah made him even better than he already was.

“Desire, not lust. Because they are two different things. Lust suggests a carnal need to slake oneself until there is no further need. Desire suggests a craving… something that is pervasive and without end. Something that slowly pulls at you…warms you from the inside out and fogs your sense entirely.”

There really isn’t much that I didn’t like about the book. I think that for some people it might be hard to warm up to Gavin because of how rude he is but that didn’t bother me too much. He was a really good to Savannah.

Now with that being said there was one major thing that I hated and I am going to give you fair warning it is a spoiler. I am going to try and word it so that it is not a complete, shouting at the top of my lungs, giving you every detail, spoiler. But I am going to put the buy links here and do not read further if you have not read the book yet……


















Ok so the one big thing I hated was the ending. I mean I thought there was something missing when they didn’t have their big drama moment that is in almost every single book. But it was there and it was the end. I mean Gavin just leaves her. Doesn’t even look back. When she needs him the most. And the part that makes me so mad is that he doesn’t even come back for her. Savannah has to be the bigger person and goes the find him. To me he didn’t even have to do the proper amount of groveling. Savannah just lets him say sorry and that’s that. I get forgiving him but I think he should’ve had to work a hell of a lot harder than that.

No comments :

Post a Comment